March 4, 2014 -
Due to illness, tonight’s event – “The Embattled Past” by Ed Coffman – is cancelled and will be rescheduled.
Welcome to The Filson Historical Society!
We are Kentucky’s oldest privately supported Historical Society, founded in 1884. We’ve been collecting and preserving Kentucky and the Ohio Valley region’s significant stories for 129 years.
You can search many of our collections, or visit to access our extensive archives and museum artifacts. The Filson has:
- 1.8 million documents
- 50,000 books
- 10,000 museum items
- 75 years of digitized, searchable issues of The Filson History Quarterly
- 15,000 digitized historical manuscripts, books, and prints about The First American West, including John Filson’s 1784 mythmaking biography of Daniel Boone
- 400 portraits
- 1,000s of historic photographs and prints of Louisville and Kentucky
- Almost 100 public programs, scholarly conferences, and lectures a year
- Learn about our programs, research our collections, donate, and become a member today!
What’s new at The Filson?
After 129 years of collecting documents, artifacts, and art … we’re out of room! Planning is underway to renovate our current home in the Ferguson Mansion and expand our campus with a new building in the heart of Old Louisville. Learn more about the exciting changes at The Filson by clicking on our Campus Expansion Plans.
Call for Papers
The Filson Institute is announcing a call for papers for its Fall 2014 conference entitled “The Hard Hand of War: Civilians and Irregulars in the Civil War.” The deadline for proposals in April 29, 2014 (postmarked).
The October 23-25, 2014 conference sponsored by The Filson Institute for the Advanced Study of the Ohio Valley and the Upper South will explore the experience of civilians and irregulars during the Civil War. For more information click here.
Mark Wetherington, Ph.D., Director
Find Out More and Follow The Filson’s Campus Expansion Project’s Progress!
- March 10, 2014 12:00 pmGenealogy for Beginners -“Research Strategies for a Successful Family History" by Jana Meyer
- March 11, 2014 6:00 pm"Nature’s Civil War: Common Soldiers and the Envi¬ronment in 1862 Virginia" by Kathryn Shively Meier
- March 17, 2014 12:00 pm"Genealogy for Beginners: Census Records and City Directories" by Jana Meyer
- March 19, 2014 6:00 pm"Dunmore’s War: The Last Conflict of America’s Colonial Era" by Glenn F. Williams
- March 24, 2014 12:00 pm"Genealogy for Beginners: Vital Records and Obituaries" by Jana Meyer
Research hours are Monday-Friday 9am-4:30pm & the first Saturday of every month 9am-3:30pm
During inclement weather, The Filson follows the University of Louisville’s schedule.
1310 S. Third Street, Louisville, KY 40208 T: (502) 635-5083 F: (502) 635-5086