Held by The Filson Historical Society
Creator: Lux, J. Scott, MA, CADC
Title: Red Cross Hospital Scrapbooks, 1898-1988
Rights: Lux received permission to reproduce the materials included in these volumes from the Louisville Courier Journal, the University of Louisville Archives and Special Collections, the University of Louisville Kornhauser Medical Library, the Louisville Free Public Library Kentucky Collections, the Filson Historical Society, and the Volunteers of America of Kentucky. Lux carefully cited the each image and document he included in this history. The books have been digitized for research purposes, but materials within is not to be reproduced without contacting the original holder of the materials. If you have questions about this, please contact the Collections Department.
Size of Collection: 2 volumes
Location Number: Mss. SB R312 1-2
Scope and Content Note:
These scrapbooks, entitled Red Cross Hospital: History of Service A Photographic Record, 1898-1988, document Louisville, Kentucky’s Red Cross Hospital, founded by a group of black physicians led by W. T. Merchant and Ellis D. Whedbee in 1899 to treat African Americans. The materials were compiled by J. Scott Lux in May 2009 to document this history of the hospital on behalf of the Volunteers of America. The scrapbooks include reproductions of photographs, news articles, blueprints, and transcripts of taped interviews. The first volume covers the founding of the hospital in 1899, its accreditation inspection and report, and fundraising activities through 1959. The second volume covers the period from about 1960 to the closure of the hospital in 1975, and its acquisition by the Volunteers of America.
Volume 1, 1899-1959 [click here to access PDF]
Volume 2, 1960-1988 [click here to access PDF]