Engineers and Architects Club of Louisville Mech. and arch. bridge drawings, 1890-1919

Held by The Filson Historical Society

Creator:  Engineers and Architects Club of Louisville, collector

Title:  Mechanical and architectural bridge drawings, 1890-1919

Rights: For information regarding literary and copyright interest for these papers, contact the Curator of Special Collections.

Size of Collection:  106 items, 7 ovsz. folders

Location Number:  Mss. AR E57

Scope and Content Note

Donated by the Engineers and Architects Club of Louisville in August of 1953, this collection is comprised of 106 mechanical and architectural drawings. The majority of these drawings are of bridge projects throughout Kentucky in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Other non-bridge projects are included, such as: plans of the Jefferson County Armory, 1912 and shop drawings of manhole covers, 1910. Projects of note are ten drawings of the “New Ohio River Bridge” or the Kentucky and Indiana (K&I) Bridge as it is known today, 1910-1911 (folder 1) as well as drawings for Pier 1 and 2 for the Louisville and Jeffersonville (Big Four) Bridge, 1890 (2). Click here to see the project index for a complete listing of projects.

The drawings were originally folded within six, manuscript boxes but are now unfolded within 7 oversized folders (due to size, some extra-large drawings are still folded). Many of the drawings are in a brittle state and should be handled with care when viewing.

Drawings were transferred from the manuscript collection (053x39).

Arrangement Note

Paper wrappers with descriptive text have been maintained and are foldered. Creator of these wrappers is unknown but likely a member of the Engineers and Architects Club or a 1953 Filson staff member.

Related Collections

Engineers and Architects Club of Louisville. Records, 1891-1985 (Mss. BF E57)

Engineers and Architects Club of Louisville. Additional records, 1961-2012 (Mss. BF E57a)

 

Biographical Note

The Engineers and Architects Club of Louisville was founded in 1891 as an organization to unite professional engineers and architects within the city.  The club held monthly meetings, invited guest speakers to lecture on relevant topics, took educational group fieldtrips, and encouraged a high level of professionalism among its members. In order to provide its members with a quality service, the Club formed professional associations with numerous other scientific societies and organizations, including the University of Louisville’s Speed Scientific School, the Louisville Engineering and Scientific Societies’ Council, the Kentucky State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers, and various state scientific societies.

Folder List

Folder 1: New Ohio River Bridge, 1910-1911, 10 items

Folder 2: Twelve drawings (see project index), various dates

Folder 3: Fifteen bridge designs (see project index) and one abutment, various dates

Folder 4: Carrollton & Prestonville Bridge, 1899 and 1912, 20 items

Folder 5: Seven bridge designs (see project index) and one concrete arch, various dates

Folder 6: Twelve non-bridge projects (see project index), various dates

Folder 7: Six large-scale Southern Water Works illustrations, n.d.

 

Subject Headings

Architecture - Designs and plans

Armories - Kentucky - Louisville

Bridges

Bridges - Abutments

Bridges - Design and construction.

Butler, Pierce

Cobb, R. L.

Davis, Brinton B.

Engineers - Kentucky

Hospital architecture - Kentucky

Ohio River

Jennie Cole

Jennie Cole is the Manager of Collection Access at The Filson. She has a MLIS with a specialization in Archives from the University of Pittsburgh and an MA in History from the University of Louisville. Jennie’s research interests in the Filson’s collections include women’s history, Camp Zachary Taylor, and Speed family of Louisville.