Fellowships & Internship Application Procedures
Application deadlines for all fellowships and internships are October 15th and February 15th each year (or the Monday following the 15th if it falls on a Saturday or Sunday). Applications are reviewed two times a year.
There is no application form. Applications consisting of the following items should be sent to:
Committee on Fellowships/Internships
The Filson Historical Society
1310 South Third Street
Louisville, Kentucky 40208
Or the application can be emailed to the Committee on Fellowships and Internships.
- Cover sheet with the following information: name, mailing address, telephone and fax numbers, e-mail address, present rank and institution name, name of fellowship or internship you applying for, title of project, history of financial aid received during the last five years.
- If you are applying for a fellowship, please send a description of your research project (no longer than two single-spaced pages) specifying the research collections you plan to consult at The Filson and your progress to date. Our Online Catalog is available on our home page. Your application will be considered by a committee of scholars.
- If you are applying for an internship, in not more than two single-spaced pages, describe the research and collection projects that you have conducted, your course work, and your career objectives.
- A resume of no more than three pages.
- Three letters of recommendation from colleagues familiar with your work. In the case of master’s and doctoral candidates, the recommendations must include the professor directing your research. Internship recommendations must include the faculty advisor directing your graduate work. Applicants are responsible for contacting all persons providing recommendations.
For any questions relating to The Filson's collections and holdings, please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our curators will contact you. For general application questions, please direct them to LeeAnn Whites (email@example.com)