About The Filson Historical Society
The Filson was founded on May 15, 1884, by ten Louisvillians with a common love of history. The primary founder and first president was Reuben T. Durrett.
The organization was named in honor of John Filson, Kentucky’s first historian, whose book, The Discovery, Settlement, and Present State of Kentucke, and map of Kentucky were published in 1784. In honor of Filson and the centennial of those historical publications the organization was christened The Filson Club. From that small gathering of amateur historians in Durrett’s home 129 years ago, the institution evolved into Kentucky’s privately supported historical society.
Today, thousands of people visit annually to conduct research, attend programs, and tour The Filson’s headquarters building, the Ferguson Mansion, and museum.
The Filson Historical Society
1310 S. Third Street
Louisville, KY 40208