Held by The Filson Historical Society
Creator: Shaw, Milton Theodore, 1924-2010
Title: Mechanical and Architectural Drawings, 1965-1983
Rights: For information regarding literary and copyright interest for this collection, contact the Curator of Special Collections.
Size of Collection: 1 oversize folder
Locator Number: Mss. AR S
Milton Theodore Shaw was born in Louisville, KY on June 30, 1924. His parents were Edward and Nettie Shaw, both natives of Kentucky. After graduating high school, Milton enlisted in the Army in 1943 and served in the Army Air Corps until the end of the war. In 1945, making use of the newly enacted G. I. Bill, Shaw enrolled in the J. B. Speed School of Engineering at the University of Louisville. In 1949, Shaw graduated as a Mechanical Engineer, and worked professionally until his retirement. Milton’s wife Patricia donated the collection to the Filson Historical Society upon his death in 2010 at age 86.
Institutional History Note
Arthur Gustave Tafel (1891-1974) and Edward Jacob Schickli (1928-) were partners in the firm Tafel & Schickli, Architects and Engineers, with offices located at 222 S. 1 st Street and 310 W. Liberty Street in Louisville, KY. The pair designed two of the projects in the Milton T. Shaw Mechanical and Architectural Drawings Collection, as well as other locally and regionally significant projects, including Brodschi Hall (the International Center) on the campus of the University of Louisville. Edward Schickli graduated from MIT in 1950, and went on to design Cherokee Park’s Hogan’s Fountain tee pee in 1964, helped with the Standiford Field expansion in 1970 (now the Louisville International Airport), and designed the original Louisville Zoo in 1968. Arthur G. Tafel was the son of German immigrants and before partnering with Schickli, Tafel designed the Bauhaus style (also called International Style) façade of the American Printing House for the Blind on Frankfort Avenue in 1955, and the Coca-Cola plant in Shelbyville, KY that has now been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Scope and Content Note
The collection consists of four mechanical and architectural project plans designed by Louisvillian mechanical engineers and architects between 1965 and 1983. The collection provides a view into mechanical engineering design practices, as well as architectural design principles prevalent during the collection’s period of creation.
Architecture – Kentucky – Louisville
Bethesda Manor (Louisville, Ky.)
Building – Kentucky – Louisville
Hillcreek Nursing Home (Louisville, Ky.)
Mechanical drawing – Kentucky – Louisville
Mechanical engineers – Kentucky – Louisville
Springdale Presbyterian Church (Louisville, Ky.)
St. Alban’s Episcopal Church (Louisville, Ky.)
Tafel & Schickli, Architects & Engineers (Louisville, Ky.)
Tafel & Schickli, Architects and Engineers (Louisville, Ky.)