Protestant Episcopal Orphan Asylum Records, 1835-1924

Held by The Filson Historical Society

Creator: Protestant Episcopal Orphan Asylum

Title: Records, 1835-1924

Rights: For information regarding literary and copyright interest for this collection, contact the Curator of Special Collections.

Size of Collection: 17 volumes, 3 folders

Locator Number: Mss. BJ P967

Scope and Content Note

Collection consisting of minute books of the board of managers of the Protestant Episcopal Orphan Asylum, 1835-1924; admission books, 1897-1920; book containing the constitution, manner of surrender, admissions, and donations, 1837-1892; and receipts and disbursements, 1913-1928. Also included are some newspaper clippings relating to the Home of the Innocents; and a minute book of the Home of the Innocents, 1881-1909.

Institutional History

The Protestant Episcopal Orphan Asylum was founded in Louisville, Kentucky in the year 1835. The institution’s first location was on Market Street between Ninth and Tenth streets. William Sale was the first president. In 1930, the Asylum merged with the Home of the Innocents.

Folder List

Volume 2: Minute book of the Board of Managers of the Protestant Episcopal Orphan Asylum, October 1852 – October 1859

Volume 3: Minute book of the Board of Managers of the Protestant Episcopal Orphan Asylum, October 1867 – December 1871

Volume 4: Minute book of the Board of Managers of the Protestant Episcopal Orphan Asylum, January 1872 – September 1880

Volume 5: Minute book of the Board of Managers of the Protestant Episcopal Orphan Asylum, October 1880 – November 1892

Volume 6: Minute book of the Board of Managers of the Protestant Episcopal Orphan Asylum, December 1892 – May 1908

Volume 7: Minute book of the Board of Managers of the Protestant Episcopal Orphan Asylum, December 1908 – December 1917

Volume 16: Constitution, Admissions, Manner of Surrender, Donations, 1837-1892.

Volume 17: Receipts and disbursements, 1913-1928

Folder 18: Misc. notes, documents, letters, removed from Volume 14, Home of the Innocents Register, July 1, 1879 – January 12, 1912

Folder 19: Newspaper clippings relating to the Home of the Innocents removed from Volume 14, Home of the Innocents Register, July 1, 1879 – January 12, 1912

Folder 20: Newspaper clippings relating to the Home of the Innocents removed from Volume 14, Home of the Innocents Register, July 1, 1879 – January 12, 1912

Wrapped volumes

Volume 1: Minute book of the Board of Managers of the Protestant Episcopal Orphan Asylum, October 1835 – September 1852. Minutes, lists of subscribers and donors

Volume 8: Minute book of the Board of Managers of the Protestant Episcopal Orphan Asylum, January 1918 – June 1924

Volume 9: Minute book of the Board of Trustees of the Protestant Episcopal Orphan Asylum, January 1, 1881 – May 22, 1909

Volume 10: Admissions book of the Protestant Episcopal Orphan Asylum, January 1835 – February 1867. Contains an act permitting the managers to create a Board of Trustees. Index of names included.

Volume 11: Admissions book of the Protestant Episcopal Orphan Asylum, 1835-1908

Volume 12: Admissions book of the Protestant Episcopal Orphan Asylum, July 1878 – September 1908

Volume 13: Admissions book of the Protestant Episcopal Orphan Asylum, 1856-1880

Volume 14: Register and scrapbook of the Home of the Innocents, July 1 1879 – January 12, 1912

Volume 15: Register of orphans received and discharged at the Protestant Orphan Asylum, Nov. 22, 1897 – December 11, 1920

Subject Headings

Episcopal Church – Kentucky – Louisville – History – Sources

Home of the Innocents (Louisville, Ky.) – Archives

Orphanages – Kentucky – Louisville – Archives

Orphans – Kentucky – Louisville – History – Sources

Protestant Episcopal Orphan Asylum (Louisville, Ky.)

Venue Rental

Spaces Available for Rent Beginning 2022

The Filson Historical Society is a unique venue that blends the historic with the modern and provides a stunning background for any event. Several areas of the campus are available to be rented for dinners, retreats, meetings, receptions, parties, or weddings. The venues have access to 74 free parking spaces and wifi, as well as small catering areas. All of the Filson’s facilities have accessible parking.

View a virtual tour of our spaces!

Visit the Filson

1310 S. 3rd St., Louisville, KY 40208
(502) 635-5083

The Filson is temporarily closed to the public to protect our staff, volunteers, and patrons during the coronavirus pandemic. All events are currently being held virtually; to register for our live virtual events, please visit our Events Page; for information on recorded lectures and other activities, please visit us online at Bringing History Home.

We continue to provide remote research services; please email gro.l1614207109aciro1614207109tsihn1614207109oslif1614207109@hcra1614207109eser1614207109.

Sponsors

Brown Forman Logo
Fund for the Arts Logo
Blue Grass Motorsport Logo
PNC Logo
Cave Hill Cemetery Logo
Kentucky Select Properties Logo
JBS Logo
Stock Yards Bank and Trust Logo
The Eye Care Institute Logo