The Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) recently awarded The Filson Historical Society the Connecting to Collections Bookshelf. This grant includes a set of preservation resources (mainly texts) which is intended to assist museums, libraries, and archives in caring for their unique collections.
The retail value for the ‘bookshelf’ of materials is over $800, and some publications are not available elsewhere.
The informational resources cover many topics, including but not limited to:
- caring for prints and drawings
- saving damaged objects in the aftermath of an emergency
- long-term, preservation-quality storage for digital media
- caring for and exhibiting culturally sensitive materials
- balancing display & care of historic materials while providing public access
The Filson is thrilled to receive this wonderful grant! Not only will this resource help safeguard The Filson collection, but also, it will be a great reference to share with patrons interested in learning to care for their family treasures. Please feel free to stop by the Special Collections department and browse the bookshelf. Together we can extend the impact of this generous grant by preserving our heritage for generations to come.