The Filson’s Bourbon Academy™ Partners:
Among The Bourbon Academy™ partners are The Bourbon Review, the Kentucky Distiller’s Association (est. 1880), The Kentucky Bourbon Trail, Bourbon Country®, and The Urban Bourbon Trail.
The Filson’s Bourbon Historian, Michael Veach, has taught brand-neutral Filson Bourbon Academies – a one-day educational history, review of our special collections archives, and tasting – since 2009. The Bourbon Academy™ offers bourbon enthusiasts, historians, distributors, restaurants, hotels and professionals an in-depth educational background of the history and making of Kentucky bourbon along with hands-on opportunities to taste and compare bourbons with experts.
Upcoming Bourbon Academy™ Dates:
- April 29, 2014 – Louisville, KY – Kentucky Derby Week – Premium Bourbon Tasting, Talk & Cocktail Reception – 21C Museum Hotel, 700 West Main Street, Louisville, KY 40202, $200 per person.
- May 1, 2014 – Louisville, KY – Private Bourbon Tasting Experience – Club Solutions Magazine, in Louisville during Kentucky Derby Week.
- May 30, 2014 – Louisville, KY – Private Bourbon Tasting Experience.
- June 9, 2014 – Rocky River/Cleveland, OH – Premium Bourbon Tasting Reception – Lizardville Tavern, 21805 Center Ridge Road, Rocky River, OH 44116, $50 per person.
- June 21, 2014 – Cincinnati, OH/Florence, KY – Filson Bourbon Academy – Florence Hilton Airport, 7373 Turfway Road, Florence, KY 42042, $125 person.
- June 22, 2014 - Cincinnati, OH/Florence, KY – Private Staff Training.
- July 12, 2014 – Detroit, MI – Filson Bourbon Academy – The Ravens Club, 5145 Chene St, Ann Arbor, MI 48211, $125 per person.
- August 30, 2014 – Portland, OR – Premium Bourbon Tasting Reception – Pope House Bourbon Lounge, 2075 NW Glisan St, Portland, OR 97209, $75 per person.
- August 31, 2014 – Portland, OR – Filson Bourbon Academy - Paddys Bar & Grill, 65 SW Yamhill Street, Portland, OR 97204, $125 person
- September 6, 2014, 2014 – Washington, D.C. – Filson Bourbon Academy – Jack Rose Dining Saloon, 2007 18th St. NW, Washington, D.C., $150 per person.
- September 29, 2014 – Chicago, IL – Filson Bourbon Academy – Columbia Yacht Club, 111 North Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60601, $125 per person.
- September 29, 2014 – Chicago, IL – Bourbon Tasting Reception – The Monkeys Paw in Lincoln Park, 2524 N Southport Ave, Chicago, IL 60614, $75 per person.
- October 4, 2014 – Aiken, SC – Filson Bourbon Academy – Rose Hill Estate, 221 Greenville St. NW, Aiken, SC, 29801, $125 per person.
- October 6, 2014 – Columbia, SC – Filson Bourbon Academy - September 6, 2014 at 701 Whaley, Olympia Room, 701 Whaley Street, Columbia, SC 29201, $150 person.
- October 11, 2014 – St. Louis, MO – The Filson Bourbon Academy – Glen Echo Country Club, 3401 Lucas-Hunt Road, Normandy, MO 63121, $150 person.
- October 18, 2014 – Louisville, KY – Filson Bourbon Academy – The Filson Historical Society, 1310 South Third Street, Louisville, KY 40208, $125 person for non-members; $100 for members.
- November 3, 2014 – New Orleans, LA, SC – Filson Bourbon Academy – Museum of the American Cocktail, 1504 O.C. Haley Blvd., New Orleans, LA 70113, $175 per person.
- November 8, 2014 – Chapel Hill, NC – The Filson Bourbon Academy – The Crunkleton, 3401 Lucas-Hunt Road, Normandy, MO 63121, $150 person.
The Lane Report, a national online magazine, published an article on The Filson Bourbon Academy’s participation in the upcoming Kentucky Bourbon Affair May 14-18th. Ever wonder what that dusty old bourbon bottle in your grandmother’s attic is worth? How about the history of a long-forgotten brand on a timeworn advertising sign in your basement?
On May 17th, American Liquors – Advice and Appraisals sponsored by The Filson Historical Society and the Kentucky Distillers’ Association, will offer advice and appraisals on rare bourbon items as part of the inaugural showcase of America’s only native spirit. To read the entire article i n The Lane Report, clock on the Kentucky Bourbon Affair logo to the right.
The One-Day Bourbon Academy™:
The one-day Academy is an eight hour class. Participants learn about the heritage of Bourbon Whiskey and have the opportunity to taste several different styles of Bourbon and other American Whiskeys. A typical Academy schedule includes:
- Session 1: The Origins of Bourbon Whiskey
- Session 2: Tasting Bourbon
- Session 3: 19th Century Bourbon
- Session 4: Tasting Tennessee Whiskey and Rye
- Lunch Break
- Session 5: Early 20th Century Bourbon and Prohibition
- Session 6: Tasting Single Barrel and Small Batch Bourbons
- Session 7: Post Prohibition to Present
- Session 8: Blind Tasting and Graduation
Participants are also presented a Glencairn whiskey tasting glass and a booklet of sources for future study and reference.
“WHAS Interview – Kentucky Bourbon Tasting Experience at 21c Museum Hotel April 29, 2014″
April 16, 2014
The Bourbon Academy™ Faculty:
Academy programs and events are led by Michael Veach, Filson Bourbon Historian. Since 1997, Michael has served on the staff of The Filson as a Special Collections Assistant, later moving to Associate Curator of Special Collections. In the past 20 years he has dedicated his time studying the distilling industry.
In 2006 Michael was inducted into the Bourbon Hall of Fame.
Michael is the author of Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey: An American Heritage (2013), which was praised by The Wall Street Journal, Courier-Journal, and other national media. He is currently completing a second book on bourbon tasting with former Courier-Journal columnist Susan Reigler.
The Filson Bourbon Academy™ offers:
- A One-Day Bourbon Academy™
- A Half-Day Bourbon Academy™
- A Rare Bourbon Tasting and Discussion
- Premium Bourbon Tasting and Discussion
- Private Corporate Events
- Private Staff Training for the Food and Beverage & Hospitality Industries
- Customized Educational and Tasting Lectures for organizations and individuals involved directly or peripherally in the bourbon industry.
The Filson’s Bourbon Academy™ Geographic Scope:
National in scope, The Bourbon Academy™ is available throughout the United States and North America on a first come basis in terms of event scheduling. The Filson Historical Society expects to make the Academy available on an international basis in 2016-17. For more information about The Filson Bourbon Academy™, to schedule or host an event, please contact Michael Veach at (502) 635-5083 9:00am to 5:00 pm Eastern Time, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.