Careers with The Filson Historical Society
The Filson Historical Society, founded in 1884, is a privately-supported historical society dedicated to preserving the history of Kentucky and the Ohio Valley Region. We have serve the public through our extensive library, varied museum artifacts, and our special collections department that includes over 2.1 million original manuscripts, letters, diaries, photographs, architectural records, and portraits. Our collections form a regional educational resource that attracts national and international researchers.
We are an organization dedicated to providing continuing adult education in the form of quarterly peer-reviewed academic journal – the Ohio Valley History, quarterly magazine publications, weekly lectures, historical tours, art exhibits, reading-and-discussion groups, weekend-long conferences and field institutes and excursions.
The Filson Historical Society is a member-supported 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, an equal opportunity employer, and provides its employees with industry competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package.
For general information regarding career opportunities, please contact the Filson Historical Society at (502) 635-5083 and ask for Marian Potter.
Part-Time Event Assistant
Assist with events and grounds at the Filson, especially during nights and weekends, on an as-needed basis.
- Set up and take down chairs and tables for events (including meetings, rentals, lectures, receptions, and other programs)
- Perform grounds-keeping tasks, including picking up trash, weeding, sweeping, shoveling, salting, etc.
- Place event signage, traffic cones, and direct parking for large events
- Provide oversight of protected spaces such as exhibit halls or historic buildings
- Clean up after events, including breakdown, sweeping, taking out trash, gathering linens and other table items, wiping down surfaces
- Monitor vendor load-in and load-out for events; provide any necessary vendor monitoring or liaison services during events
- Maintain clean and orderly storage areas
- Operate Audio Visual systems (training provided)
- Take tickets and registrations at the door for programs
- Serve food and beverages as requested for Filson events/programs (this is not a requirement for outside rentals such as weddings or corporate meetings)
- Other duties as assigned
- Be reliable, punctual and willing/able to work weekend and evening hours
- Provide friendly, warm, and prompt customer service
- Lift and carry objects weighing from 15 to 45 pounds, or more with assistance
- Support the Filson’s mission and abide by the code of ethics, policies, and procedures
Since our founding in 1884, The Filson Historical Society’s mission has been to collect, preserve, and tell the significant stories of Kentucky and Ohio Valley history and culture. In order to best support the mission, all employees are expected to make contributions to daily operations that are not explicitly stated within the scope of their job title or department duties. To that end, all jobs include the requirement to participate in duties that cross over departmental lines and are in the interest of the overall health of the organization and beauty of the campus.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest along with their resume to email@example.com using the subject line “Part-Time Event Assistant.” Because of the nature of this position being on call and part time mostly nights and weekends, we will fill 3-4 positions on a rolling basis and are looking for hours starting immediately.
Volunteers, Welcome to The Filson Historical Society!
Volunteering is a great way to learn more about history while helping to preserve the past for the enjoyment of future generations. Meeting new people, learning and sharing information, and making a real contribution to The Filson are just a few of the benefits volunteers can receive for their time and effort.
At The Filson Historical Society, volunteers provide connections to the past and insights into the present. Volunteers provide personal attention to visitors, perform behind-the-scenes assistance to our Library and Collections, and work with the public in education and programming events … all by contributing their unique talents, skills and life experiences, and their knowledge about our community, our commonwealth and the Ohio Valley region.
The Filson Historical Society is committed to encouraging volunteer involvement at all levels in the organization. Please see our current volunteer opportunities below:
Volunteer Opportunities at The Filson
The Filson is seeking volunteer docents to give tours of the exhibits and the historic Ferguson Mansion. Initial and ongoing training for docents will be provided.
If you have the following attributes, you should consider becoming a docent:
- A passion for connecting the public to local history
- Great public speaking skills
- Interest in local history and art
- Punctual and reliable
It’s an exciting time at The Filson—join us!
For more information regarding volunteer opportunities, please contact Sarah Bruns at 502-635-5083 ext. 235 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.