Welcome to The Filson Historical Society!
You can search many of our collections, or visit to access our extensive archives and museum artifacts. The Filson has:
- 1.8 million documents
- 50,000 books
- 10,000 museum items
- 75 years of digitized, searchable issues of The Filson History Quarterly
- 15,000 digitized historical manuscripts, books, and prints about The First American West, including John Filson’s 1784 mythmaking biography of Daniel Boone
- 400+ portraits
- 1,000s of historic photographs and prints of Louisville and Kentucky
- Almost 100 public programs, scholarly conferences, and lectures a year
- Learn about our programs, research our collections, donate, and become a member today!
What's new at The Filson?
After 130 years of collecting documents, artifacts, and art … we’re out of room! Planning is underway to renovate our current home in the Ferguson Mansion and expand our campus with a new building in the heart of Old Louisville. Learn more about the exciting changes at The Filson by clicking on our Campus Expansion Plans.